The Yorkshire Arboretum has over 150 volunteers who work alongside the small staff team to care for and develop this lovely place, creating memorable experiences for our visitors. We are indebted to them all for their dedication, skills and enthusiasm.
In return, our volunteers get the chance to work in glorious surroundings with like-minded colleagues, to gain new skills to enhance a CV, to meet visitors from around the world and to know they are playing a vital role in helping the arboretum fulfil its potential.
We offer a variety of volunteer roles which will suit different interests, abilities and time availability including:
- Caring for the trees and arboretum grounds, working mostly outdoors and involving physical work
- Helping with school and group visits, often outdoors
- Helping to welcome visitors and ensure they enjoy their time at the arboretum
- Helping with administration or office based tasks
- Encouraging more people to visit the arboretum by helping with our marketing programme
- Helping with weddings or our events programme
- One-off events such as bulb planting sessions where we'd welcome your help just for the day
What we offer our volunteers:
- Training and support in learning new skills
- Invitations to events, talks and activities
- Regular updates on what's happening at the arboretum
- The chance to meet like-minded people
- A free tea or coffee on the days you volunteer
And for volunteers who give 40 hours or more in a calendar year:
- Free annual membership to the Yorkshire Arboretum
- A Castle Howard staff card giving free admission and discounts on purchases
The volunteer roles currently available are listed below. If no vacancies are listed, or if none of the ones currently available appeals to you, please bookmark this page and visit often as we post new opportunities regularly.
If you have particular skills or experience that you think might be useful to us, have an idea for a research project, or are looking for something a little different, such as a day's group volunteering, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org, telling us a little about yourself and why you think you could help, or what you would like to do, and include a phone number so we can contact you for a chat.