The Yorkshire Arboretum invites you to a training course for businesses across the area served by York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership. Developing skills and competency in tree health security.
Plant health specialists from Fera Science Ltd and the Yorkshire Arboretum will deliver the course as Calderdale College Associates to help develop skills in the arboricultural, horticultural, forestry and woodland industries and allied businesses dealing with trees.
This three-day course is suitable for all staff and will be a basic introduction into the key elements of recognition of tree health issues, good biosecurity practice and resilience and mitigation, enabling participants to continue to develop their skills and competency in this area. It will be a mix of presentations, demonstrations, practical activities, Q&A and based on the following elements:
• Introduction to tree pests and diseases
• Identification of tree pests and diseases
• Good biosecurity practice
• Resilience and mitigation of pests and diseases and their effects
Learning outcomes: As a result of attending this workshop you will be able to explain:
• What are the main threats to trees from pests and diseases
• What are harmful organisms
• The type of damage they may cause
• How organisms can be introduced and spread
• What is good biosecurity practice and how you can apply it in your work
• How to mitigate for tree pests and diseases
• How can I develop my competency in Tree Health and Biosecurity further
Venues and dates:
The course will take place at Fera Science Ltd, Sand Hutton, YO41 1LZ and the Yorkshire Arboretum, Castle Howard, YO60 7BY over three weeks, with the same syllabus being taught on two consecutive days each week. Please indicate which days you would like to attend.
1/2 May Full day: Introduction to tree health issues and identification of pests & diseases
8/9 May Full day: Biosecurity and resilience
15/16 May Half day: Biosecurity
We are able offer the training free to businesses, including sole-traders, based in the York, North Yorkshire and East Riding LEP area (https://www.businessinspiredgrowth.com/where-we-cover/) but there will be a charge of £15 per day to cover booking and catering costs, including lunch.
To arrange your free place apply to email@example.com by 18th April.
Full details of the program can be found here: TreeHealthTraining.pdf